• Practice Falling Down on Purpose
No one wants to fall while ice skating, but if you are going to skate, you are going to fall. So, it is best to practice falling as soon as you get on the ice. By doing so, you will find you are better prepared and you will be more confident on the ice.
- Bend your knees and squat into dip position.
- Fall to the side and lean a bit forward as you fall down.
- Put your hands in your lap.
- Turn over on your hands and knees.
- Take one foot and place it between your hands. Then take the other foot and place it between your hands.
- Push yourself up and you should be standing.
• Practice Gliding on Two Feet
• Practice Dips
• Practice Marching and Moving Forward
After mastering falling down and getting up, it is now time to skate forward on the ice.
- First, march in place.
- Next, march and move.
- Now, do short “scooter” steps with one foot at a time. Pretend you are riding a scooter down the street. Arms can be kept in front on “imaginary scooter bars” for balance.
- Next, do alternating “scooter” steps. Take a step onto the right foot, rest on two feet, and then step onto the left foot.
- Try pushing from one foot to the other, and skate around the rink.
• Practice Stopping
- Push your feet apart and use the flat of the blade to make a bit of snow on the ice and do a snowplow stop.
- Push one foot out by pressing on a flat.
- There should be some friction on the ice and snow should form.
- Bend knees.
- Come to a complete stop.
• Practice Gliding on One Foot
- First glide on two feet.
- Transfer your weight to the foot you want to stand on as you glide.
- Lift up the other foot while gliding forward.
• Have Fun
Enjoy your time at the rink. Smile and laugh. Once you practice the basics, play games on the ice or try to spin, skate backwards, or try to do forward or backward swizzles.
- Ice Skating Pants, Skirts, and Jackets By Skating Designs
- JO ANN’s Figure Skating Tips 101: How to Do an Outside Eight On Ice Skates
- JO ANN’s Figure Skating Tips 101: How to Do a Camel Spin
- A List of the Indoor Ice Skating Rinks in Southern California
- Nathan Chen Was Amazing at the 2017 US Figure Skating Championships!
- The Queens of Figure Skating Only Seem to Reign for a Year (or Two)
- The Presidential Inauguration Reminded Me of Changing Figure Skating Coaches!
- Why Is the US National Figure Skating Championships Such a Prestigious Competition?
- What Does God Have to Do With the 2017 US National Figure Skating Championships?