A Funny Figure Skating Memory: My Skating Partner’s Wig Fell Off In Competition!
This is a very amusing and true ice skating story that is an example of how a fall was handled at an ice skating event. It is a funny story that is “a classic” in the figure skating world, but it is not the story of a typical fall!
My ice skating partner, Gary Forman, and I were preparing to compete in an ice dancing event.
Gary was a very handsome twenty-year-old with long, brown hair. Even though this was a time when long hair was “in” for most young people, the style was not seen as appropriate for competitive skaters. As the competition approached, everyone involved with my partner’s skating bothered him to get his hair cut. He assured everyone that he would get it done.
The day of the competition came, and sure enough my Gary showed up at the ice rink with the perfect haircut … or so everyone thought.
My partner, newly groomed, and I skated to a second place in the initial round of the competition. Entering the final round, the competition was close. If we skated well, we could pull up to first place. Little did we know what waited in store for us during the warm-up for the final round!
At the end of the warm-up, the announcer made the call to clear the ice. We were the only skaters remaining on the ice. Gary insisted that we do one more Rocker Foxtrot mohawk. It was an ill-fated move.
Upon falling during the maneuver, I turned to Gary and said, “I told you we shouldn’t have done another mohawk!” IN SHOCK, I NOTICED THAT MY SKATING PARTNER’S NEW “HAIRDO,” WHICH WAS ACTUALLY A MAN’S WIG, HAD FALLEN OFF HIS HEAD! He was wearing a beanie over his hair and looked sillier than you could imagine. I grabbed the wig and placed it back on his head.
The judges, officials, audience (by the way, the rink was packed), and our coach, Darlene Gilbert, were laughing so hard! The laughing went on for a good five to ten minutes. We didn’t pull up – we dropped to fourth. We did not skate our best, but we sure have a good story and memory about that competition!
- Practice List for Beginning Ice Skaters
- Ice Skating Pants, Skirts, and Jackets By Skating Designs
- JO ANN’s Figure Skating Tips 101: How to Do an Outside Eight On Ice Skates
- JO ANN’s Figure Skating Tips 101: How to Do a Camel Spin
- A List of the Indoor Ice Skating Rinks in Southern California
- Nathan Chen Was Amazing at the 2017 US Figure Skating Championships!
- The Queens of Figure Skating Only Seem to Reign for a Year (or Two)
- The Presidential Inauguration Reminded Me of Changing Figure Skating Coaches!
- Why Is the US National Figure Skating Championships Such a Prestigious Competition?
- What Does God Have to Do With the 2017 US National Figure Skating Championships?