When I was a child and teen, I practiced compulsory school figures for hours and hours every day. I had two pairs of skates, one for figures and one for freestyle. I spent years mastering tracings and doing clean turns. I passed several figure tests.
Many, many years have passed, but I still “do figures,” but now, I do figures for exercise and (believe it or not) for relaxation! I have a compulsory figures for exercise system, and for quite some time, I’ve wanted to share that system with my readers.
Below is my “Ice Skate and Practice Compulsory Figures Just for Exercise Plan”:
**Note: To do all of what I”ve listed below, a skater must be able to glide on one foot on outside and inside edges and do some basic figure skating turns such as three-turns, brackets, counters, and rockers. Previous experience doing compulsory figures is a plus, but not a must. A clean sheet of ice is nice, but not necessary. My figure skating exercise plan can be done in the center of a rink on a public session or on an end of the rink on a freestyle session. A scribe is NOT necessary. If your rink does offer “patch” time that is great! My “compulsory figures just for exercise plan” takes about an 45 minutes to an hour to complete, but sometimes, I just do about 20 to 30 minutes of figures. No special “patch blades” are necessary and don’t worry about tracing anything or doing clean turns or flats!
JO ANN’s Ice Skate and Practice Compulsory Figures Just for Exercise Plan:
- Start by “laying out” and doing the forward outside eight. Do about six tracings. Use the heel of your blade to darken the outside eight’s circles. (If the ice sheet is not “clean” you may also want to drag and scrape one blade around the circle to darken the circles a bit more.)
- Next, do a forward inside eight for about six tracings over the same circles you did the outside eight on.
- Move over a step or two, and “lay out” a right forward serpentine and do about six tracings. Again, use your heel to darken the serpentine’s circles.
- Do six tracings of a left forward serpentine over the right forward serpentine’s circles.
- Now do paragraph forward eights in both directions. Again use your heel to darken the circles and do six tracings. (I make my paragraph eight circles a bit smaller than the regular outside and inside eights circles.)
- Go back to your original forward outside eight cirlcles and do three to six tracings of back outside eights and back inside eights.
- If you feel like it, do back serpentines (both left and right) over the darkened forward serpentine circles.
- Next do any figure you feel like doing that includes three turns. I sometimes do double three figures which quickly gets all the three turns, forward, backward, inside and outside, in.
- Now do brackets. If I feel like it, I do change brackets.
- After the brackets, do counters and/or rockers.
- Loops always come last. I like doing forward change loops, but if I feel “adventurous,” I do back change loops!
- What It Is Like to Skate and Play and Stay in Sun Valley, Idaho
- There Is a Difference Between Ice Dance Three Turns and the Three Turns Done In Free Skating and In Recreational Ice Skating
- Parents of Figure Skaters Have to Adjust to Life Without Skating When a Child Retires From the Sport
- Kiss and Cry: A True and Inspirational Film About a Figure Skater Named Carley Allison
- Figure Skating Is About Getting Up
- Figure Skaters Should Lace Up a Pair of Ice Hockey Skates!
- Dear JO ANN: How Can I Pay for My Child’s Figure Skating Dream?
- Figure Skating Travel Woes: My Memories of a Bad Experience With United Airlines: December, 2008
- Opinion: I Am Not Sure I Like Quadruple Figure Skating Jumps
- Opinion: Ice Dancing Certainly Was Not/Is Not “Fixed” at the 2017 World Figure Skating Championships
- A Funny Figure Skating Memory: My Skating Partner’s Wig Fell Off In Competition!
- Practice List for Beginning Ice Skaters
- Ice Skating Pants, Skirts, and Jackets By Skating Designs
- JO ANN’s Figure Skating Tips 101: How to Do an Outside Eight On Ice Skates
- JO ANN’s Figure Skating Tips 101: How to Do a Camel Spin
- A List of the Indoor Ice Skating Rinks in Southern California
- Nathan Chen Was Amazing at the 2017 US Figure Skating Championships!
- The Queens of Figure Skating Only Seem to Reign for a Year (or Two)
- The Presidential Inauguration Reminded Me of Changing Figure Skating Coaches!
- Why Is the US National Figure Skating Championships Such a Prestigious Competition?
- What Does God Have to Do With the 2017 US National Figure Skating Championships?