This is not something we usually talk about, but since I literally have lived my entire life inside ice rinks, I’ve decided that the condition of ice skating rink restrooms should be addressed.
I’ve noticed that through the years, ice skating rinks have really improved. The newer rinks have large lobbies, warm viewing areas, better rental skates, modern pro shops, wifi, and large screen televisions. Many of these newer facilities have large restrooms, but I have come to the conclusion that the condition of some ice skating rink restrooms are still just as terrible and disgusting as they were when I was a kid and teen. A certain very old ice skating rink in southern California still has the same leaky flushing button that were there when I was a kid!
Today’s female figure skaters wear yoga pants to practice, but when I was a kid, we wore leotard type skating dresses, woolen mittens, and sweaters. That meant we had to go into a cold and damp and usually freezing ice rink bathroom and we had to strip down to a near naked state to use the facilities. Only some of the stalls had doors. The toilets barely fit inside the stalls and the stall doors rarely stayed locked or closed. It took some time and effort to keep the warm clothes we had to take off dry since the restroom floor was usually very wet and there was no place to hang up our sweaters and mittens. If we were lucky enough, some toilet paper was still there that had not yet fallen on the wet floor. If water came out of the sinks, paper towels didn’t seem to be invented yet and of course, there never was any soap or there was some kind of powder that resembled broken chalk and that was supposed to clean our hands.
The skating rink restrooms of today may not be as horrible as I remember they were in the past. It seems that some skating rink restrooms have improved. I noticed recently that the 7k International Skating Academy’s East rink in Colorado has a beautiful clean restroom that is even heated and decorated. It might be fun to find out which ice skating rinks in world have clean, warm, and nice restrooms!
- I’m So Excited About the World Figure & Fancy Skating Championships and Festival!
- JO ANN’s Ice Skate and Practice Compulsory Figures Just for Exercise Plan
- What It Is Like to Skate and Play and Stay in Sun Valley, Idaho
- There Is a Difference Between Ice Dance Three Turns and the Three Turns Done In Free Skating and In Recreational Ice Skating
- Parents of Figure Skaters Have to Adjust to Life Without Skating When a Child Retires From the Sport
- Kiss and Cry: A True and Inspirational Film About a Figure Skater Named Carley Allison
- Figure Skating Is About Getting Up
- Figure Skaters Should Lace Up a Pair of Ice Hockey Skates!
- Dear JO ANN: How Can I Pay for My Child’s Figure Skating Dream?
- Figure Skating Travel Woes: My Memories of a Bad Experience With United Airlines: December, 2008
- Opinion: I Am Not Sure I Like Quadruple Figure Skating Jumps
- Opinion: Ice Dancing Certainly Was Not/Is Not “Fixed” at the 2017 World Figure Skating Championships
- A Funny Figure Skating Memory: My Skating Partner’s Wig Fell Off In Competition!
- Practice List for Beginning Ice Skaters
- Ice Skating Pants, Skirts, and Jackets By Skating Designs
- JO ANN’s Figure Skating Tips 101: How to Do an Outside Eight On Ice Skates
- JO ANN’s Figure Skating Tips 101: How to Do a Camel Spin
- A List of the Indoor Ice Skating Rinks in Southern California
- Nathan Chen Was Amazing at the 2017 US Figure Skating Championships!
- The Queens of Figure Skating Only Seem to Reign for a Year (or Two)
- The Presidential Inauguration Reminded Me of Changing Figure Skating Coaches!
- Why Is the US National Figure Skating Championships Such a Prestigious Competition?
- What Does God Have to Do With the 2017 US National Figure Skating Championships?