I don’t get it.
Well, for my readers who don’t know what I “don’t get,” I don’t understand why Olympic figure skater and three-time US Ladies Figure Skating Champion Ashley Wagner competed at Skate America 2017 in Lake Placid at all.
If you missed watching Skate America on television over the Thanksgiving weekend 2017, you may have missed the drama when Ashley Wagner all of a sudden stopped in the middle of her freeskate program and shook her head. She then approached her coach and the judging panel and withdrew from the event.
I recall that 2010 US Ladies Figure Skating Champion and Olympian Rachael Flatt competed at a World Figure Skating Championships without reporting an injury and afternwards she was fined by US Figure Skating for not reporting the injury. Wouldn’t what happened to Flatt give elite competitors an idea that competing injured is not okay with our skating federation?
Did Ashley Wagner report her injury to US Figure Skating before Skate America 2017 began? If so, why did our skating federation not bring in an alternate to compete in Wagner’s place rather than have the skater stop in the middle of her freeskate and withdraw?
- Should Quadruple Figure Skating Jumps Perhaps Be Banned?
- Remembering the Famous Ice Dancer Jim Sladky
- Some People Think Teaching Skating Is Not Real Work – How Dare They Think Such a Thing!
- Opinion: Why Did Olympic Figure Skater Gracie Gold Have to Tell the World About Her Problems?
- How to Do a Basic Spin On Ice Skates
- How Much Money Will a Skater Spend On Private Lessons?
- What Exactly Is the Definition of Figure Skating?
- The 2017 World Figure & Fancy Skating Championship Was an Amazing Experience!
- How to Choose a Figure Skating Coach
- Comparison of FROZEN On Ice Versus the New-to-Be Broadway Stage Version
- San Francisco Bay Area Ice Dance Weekend October 6–8, 2017
- Figure Skating Competition Scores Were Once Added Up By Hand
- Do You Dread the Thought of Using an Ice Skating Rink Restroom?
- I’m So Excited About the World Figure & Fancy Skating Championships and Festival!
- JO ANN’s Ice Skate and Practice Compulsory Figures Just for Exercise Plan
- What It Is Like to Skate and Play and Stay in Sun Valley, Idaho
- There Is a Difference Between Ice Dance Three Turns and the Three Turns Done In Free Skating and In Recreational Ice Skating
- Parents of Figure Skaters Have to Adjust to Life Without Skating When a Child Retires From the Sport
- Kiss and Cry: A True and Inspirational Film About a Figure Skater Named Carley Allison
- Figure Skating Is About Getting Up
- Figure Skaters Should Lace Up a Pair of Ice Hockey Skates!
- Dear JO ANN: How Can I Pay for My Child’s Figure Skating Dream?
- Figure Skating Travel Woes: My Memories of a Bad Experience With United Airlines: December, 2008
- Opinion: I Am Not Sure I Like Quadruple Figure Skating Jumps
- Opinion: Ice Dancing Certainly Was Not/Is Not “Fixed” at the 2017 World Figure Skating Championships
- A Funny Figure Skating Memory: My Skating Partner’s Wig Fell Off In Competition!
- Practice List for Beginning Ice Skaters
- Ice Skating Pants, Skirts, and Jackets By Skating Designs
- JO ANN’s Figure Skating Tips 101: How to Do an Outside Eight On Ice Skates
- JO ANN’s Figure Skating Tips 101: How to Do a Camel Spin
- A List of the Indoor Ice Skating Rinks in Southern California
- Nathan Chen Was Amazing at the 2017 US Figure Skating Championships!
- The Queens of Figure Skating Only Seem to Reign for a Year (or Two)
- The Presidential Inauguration Reminded Me of Changing Figure Skating Coaches!
- Why Is the US National Figure Skating Championships Such a Prestigious Competition?
- What Does God Have to Do With the 2017 US National Figure Skating Championships?