Several years ago, I wrote an article saying that elite American figure skating was FIXED. but that article didn’t stay live long, since one of my children’s coaches contacted me immediately after I published my thoughts and told me that saying such things was not a good idea for me politically since, at the time, I was a parent of active competitive skaters and also a coach.
I edited that piece after that suggestion to say that sometimes the results of ice dancing events seemed to be decided in advance and were somewhat predictable; that is, the results of elite ice dancing seem to just a bit more “reliable” than the other figure skating disciplines.
Okay…American figure skating is not really “fixed,” but seems to be…sometimes.
Ross Miner skated the “program of his life” at the recent 2018 US Championships and won a silver medal, but that performance and medal did not earn him a spot on the 2018 US Olympic Figure Skating Team or even earn him a first alternate spot. There has been outrage in the figure skating community about that decision. Over 4,000 people have signed a petition asking that Miner be put on the team.
World Professional Champion Scott Cramer voiced his opinion and I believe his opinion sums “IT” up:
‘Congratulations to Ross Miner for the Silver Medal at Nationals! Oh, and Hey, US Figure Skating- It is so sad that even after that performance, the corrupt Olympic committee disregards this, and puts whoever they want on the Olympic Team. Why bother having a competition? Save us all the time and money. If you are going to “screw” someone over who legitimately deserves to represent this country in the Olympics, reimburse him for all of his lessons & training, ice-time, travel, etc. Why should anyone put all of the time and effort into training for this competition when it becomes meaningless, and the ultimate decision is pre-determined by a corrupt committee? It has ALWAYS been this way and just WORSE now. Ever wonder why y’all NEVER see ME in the rinks anymore? I steered my 4 kids away from Skating corruption, and into sports that are honest and ethical. Can you imagine if a football team wins their playoff game only to hear that the LOSING team moves on in the playoffs because they did better during the year, or their overall record was better?? Never… This is completely Ridiculous, US Figure Skating Olympic Committee is a joke…’ – Scott Cramer, World Professional Champion and Two Time Alternate to the US Olympic Figure Skating Team
In the past, the US National Figure Skating Championships that precedes the Winter Olympic Games every four years has always been so very exciting since who would represent the United States at the Olympic Games were selected at the conclusion of the competition, but…who would be on the team was almost set in stone based on the previous three years that preceded that “Nationals.” That changed with the IJS International Judging System, but it seems that US Figure Skating may have taken a step back and has returned to determining the US Olympic Figure Skating Team somewhat in advance.
“Nationals” is no longer the deciding factor for who is selected for the US Olympic Team anymore, so perhaps Olympic Figure Skating Team USA should be announced BEFORE the US Championships that coincides with an Olympic year? That would make “Nationals” just be another competition. If all the competitions of the season and the prior season are what US Figure Skating uses to decide on the Olympic team anyway, why make such a big deal out of Nationals every four years?
- I’m So Happy For Alexa and Chris and Dalilah! 2018 Olympics!
- Jordan Moeller’s Thoughts Put Figure Skating In Perspective
- Which Figure Skaters From the USA Might Qualify For the 2018 Winter Olympics?
- If Ashley Wagner’s ankle was infected, why did US Figure Skating allow her to compete at Skate America 2017?
- Should Quadruple Figure Skating Jumps Perhaps Be Banned?
- Remembering the Famous Ice Dancer Jim Sladky
- Some People Think Teaching Skating Is Not Real Work – How Dare They Think Such a Thing!
- Opinion: Why Did Olympic Figure Skater Gracie Gold Have to Tell the World About Her Problems?
- How to Do a Basic Spin On Ice Skates
- How Much Money Will a Skater Spend On Private Lessons?
- What Exactly Is the Definition of Figure Skating?
- The 2017 World Figure & Fancy Skating Championship Was an Amazing Experience!
- How to Choose a Figure Skating Coach
- Comparison of FROZEN On Ice Versus the New-to-Be Broadway Stage Version
- San Francisco Bay Area Ice Dance Weekend October 6–8, 2017
- Figure Skating Competition Scores Were Once Added Up By Hand
- Do You Dread the Thought of Using an Ice Skating Rink Restroom?
- I’m So Excited About the World Figure & Fancy Skating Championships and Festival!
- JO ANN’s Ice Skate and Practice Compulsory Figures Just for Exercise Plan
- What It Is Like to Skate and Play and Stay in Sun Valley, Idaho
- There Is a Difference Between Ice Dance Three Turns and the Three Turns Done In Free Skating and In Recreational Ice Skating
- Parents of Figure Skaters Have to Adjust to Life Without Skating When a Child Retires From the Sport
- Kiss and Cry: A True and Inspirational Film About a Figure Skater Named Carley Allison
- Figure Skating Is About Getting Up
- Figure Skaters Should Lace Up a Pair of Ice Hockey Skates!
- Dear JO ANN: How Can I Pay for My Child’s Figure Skating Dream?
- Figure Skating Travel Woes: My Memories of a Bad Experience With United Airlines: December, 2008
- Opinion: I Am Not Sure I Like Quadruple Figure Skating Jumps
- Opinion: Ice Dancing Certainly Was Not/Is Not “Fixed” at the 2017 World Figure Skating Championships
- A Funny Figure Skating Memory: My Skating Partner’s Wig Fell Off In Competition!
- Practice List for Beginning Ice Skaters
- Ice Skating Pants, Skirts, and Jackets By Skating Designs
- JO ANN’s Figure Skating Tips 101: How to Do an Outside Eight On Ice Skates
- JO ANN’s Figure Skating Tips 101: How to Do a Camel Spin
- A List of the Indoor Ice Skating Rinks in Southern California
- Nathan Chen Was Amazing at the 2017 US Figure Skating Championships!
- The Queens of Figure Skating Only Seem to Reign for a Year (or Two)
- The Presidential Inauguration Reminded Me of Changing Figure Skating Coaches!
- Why Is the US National Figure Skating Championships Such a Prestigious Competition?
- What Does God Have to Do With the 2017 US National Figure Skating Championships?